Music of Great Britain and Russia: Parallels and Intersections
Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory
Royal College of Music (London)
Moscow Conservatory’s Divisions of Foreign Music and Russian Music History, together with Royal College of Music (London), invite scholars and teachers, as well as graduate and postgraduate students of higher educational music and other art programs to participate in the International Scholarly Conference "Music of Great Britain and Russia: Parallels and Intersections".
The conference will be held at Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory as part of the Cross-cultural Year of Russia and Great Britain.
The work of the conference will be organised through the following sections:
- British literature in Russian music culture;
- Russian culture and history in the oeuvre of twentieth-and-twenty-first-century British composers;
- British composers in view of Russian critics — Russian composers in view of British critics;
- William Shakespeare and the art of music;
- Historically informed performance in Great Britain and in Russia: matters of its history and questions of its teaching.
Both cultural program and master classes are scheduled in the course of the conference. The working languages of the conference will be Russian and English. The time limits are as follows: 20 minutes for a presentation, 10 minutes for a further discussion. Poster presentations are admitted.
Organising Committee of the Conference:
- Prof. Alexander Sokolov, D.A., Rector of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory, — Chairman of the Committee;
- Prof. Konstantin Zenkin, D.A., Deputy Rector for Scholarly Affairs of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory;
- Prof. Irina Skvortsova, D.A., Head of the Russian Music History Division of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory;
- Christina Guillaumier, D.A., Head of Undergraduate Programmes of Royal College of Music (London);
- Prof. Irina Kozhenova, Ph.D., Dean of the Department for Music History and Theory of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory;
- Prof. Michail Saponov, D.A., Head of the Foreign Music History Division of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory;
- Assc. Prof. Roman Nasonov, Ph.D., Foreign Music History Division of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory;
- Yaroslava Kabalevskaya, Ph.D., Russian Music History Division of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory;
- Yulia Kupriyanova, Rector’s Assistant, a graduate of the Royal College of Music (London), a laureate of international competitions, a pianist;
- Vladislav Tarnopolsky, a teacher at the Contemporary Music Division of Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory.
The Conference Coordinator: Elizaveta Chernova Translator of the texts: Dmitry Gorbatov
The applications will be selected by the Organising Committee in advance. All travel expenses should be covered by the speaker’s organisation.
As a result of the conference, a collection of the articles is planned for publishing during the year 2020. The articles may be published both in Russian and in English.