Habilitated Doctor of Art Science
Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (France)
Member of the National Commission for Historic Monuments, Organ section (France)
Marina Tchebourkina — International Concert Organist and Musicologist, Habilitated Doctor of Art Science. She is one of the rare musicians to pursue a career at the highest level in these two directions.
Marina Tchebourkina is developing her creative activity in concert performance, CD recording, musical science, professoring and organ expertise. She is author of scientific works (history and theory of music) in Russian and French. Expert of French organ art, Marina Tchebourkina is also positioned as an ambassador, all over the world, of Russian organ music.
After her studies at music school, Moscow (1972–1980, diploma with excellence in Piano), Marina Tchebourkina graduated in 1984 from Academic Music College under the Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory (4-year cycle), where she recieved her diploma in Music theory, Piano and Organ, with excellence (Summa Cum Laude).
In 1989, Marina Tchebourkina graduated from Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory (5-year Master’s degree), where she obtained two diplomas with excellence (Summa Cum Laude): one in Organ, with professor Leonid Roizman, and the other in Musicology, with professor Yuri Kholopov.
From 1989 to 1992, she undertook Postgraduate degree at Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory, also in Organ (Doctor of Musical Arts: Concert Performance and Professoring; musical director: professor Natalia Gureyeva) and Musicology (Ph. Doctor; research director: professor Yuri Kholopov).
From 1992 to 1994, she received a French Government grant and deepened her stylistic knowledge in organ music, in France — with Marie-Claire Alain, Michel Chapuis, Louis Robillard, and in Germany — with Harald Vogel.
In 1994, she defended her dissertation “The organ music of Olivier Messiaen”, before the Scientific Council of Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory, and unanimously received the scientific degree of Doctor of Art Science (“Kandidat nauk / Kandidat iskusstvovedenia”), specialisation: Musical Art.
In 1995, after the reconstruction of the organ of the Palace of Versailles, Michel Chapuis invited there Marina Tchebourkina to collaborate with him. Organist at the Royal Chapel of Versailles for fifteen years (1996–2010), Marina Tchebourkina has devoted a large part of her career to the study of French Baroque organ music and its performance on historic instruments. She also endearvored to clarify issues related to the 17th–18th centuries French interpretation and organ building.
In 2005, she received the grade of Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (Decree of the Minister of Culture, France).
In 2006, Marina Tchebourkina was nominated a member of the National Commission for Historic Monuments of the French Ministry of Culture, Organ section (Decree of the Minister of Culture, France). She carries out expertises of old French organs as well as takes part in adoption of conclusions on the legal protection of outstanding organ monuments of the past and in elaboration of projects of their restoration.
Since 2010, she is regularly invited at Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory to give the organ recitals and the Master class, to present scientific reports and to be member of jury of international organ competitions.
In 2013, Marina Tchebourkina defended her habilitation thesis before the Scientific Council of Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory, on the theme “The French Baroque organ art: music, organ building, interpretation”, and received the scientific degree of Habilitated Doctor of Art Science (“Doktor nauk / Doktor iskusstvovedenia”), specialisation: Musical Art.
Since 2013, she is a Researcher at Pantheon–Sorbonne University (Paris–I), author and coordinator of the project “Organ and Sciences”.
For more information:
Marina Tchebourkina performs organ music of different eras and styles — from J. Titelouze, G. Frescobaldi and D. Buxtehude to contemporary authors, choosing the works of F. Couperin, L. Marchand, G. Corrette, N. de Grigny, J. S. Bach, L. C. Daquin, C. Balbastre, J.-J. Beauvarlet-Charpentier, C. Franck, M. Glinka, F. Liszt, A. Glazounov, D. Shostakovich and O. Messiaen as the basis of her repertoire.
Belonging to two cultures, the organist focuses her attention on major Russian and French composers. She elaborated two original thematic programs, “The Organistes du Roy and their Contemporaries” and “Russian Organ Music”, — the programs that she presents throughout her concerts and that she has recorded on numerous CDs. Owning a wide repertoire and knowing the subtleties of its performance, sitting on a solid foundation of academic education and opened to everything that is new and legitimate, thinking of Art as a syncretic phenomenon and working at the intersection of Art and Science, Marina Tchebourkina has developed unique organ projects. She performs World Premieres of great contemporary Russian composers’ organ works as well as of French Baroque unknown masterpieces. She is working presently on the new Art concepts, which develope the idea of synesthesia in Art and use the latest technological achievements.
Principal scientific works
1. Чебуркина М. Н. (комментированный перевод). Оливье Мессиан. Техника моего музыкального языка. — Москва: Греко-Латинский кабинет, 1995. — 128 с. ISBN 5–87245–0109
Tchebourkina M. N. (annotated translation in Russian). Olivier Messiaen. The Technique of My Musical Language. — Moscou: Greko-latinski kabinet, 1995. — 128 p.
2. Tchebourkina M. L’Orgue de la Chapelle royale de Versailles, Trois siècles d’histoire. — Paris : Natives, 2010. — 256 p. ISBN–13 978–2–911662–09–6
Tchebourkina M. The Organ of the Royal Chapel of Versailles, Three centuries of history. — Paris : Natives, 2010. — 256 p.
3. Чебуркина М. Н. Французское органное искусство Барокко: Музыка, Органостроение, Исполнительство. — Paris : Natives, 2013. — 848 с. ISBN–13 978–2–911662–10–2
Tchebourkina M. N. The French Baroque Organ Art: Musique, Organ building, Interpretation. — Paris : Natives, 2013. — 848 p.
I. Collection “The Organistes du Roy and their contemporaries”
1. Claude Balbastre à Saint-Roch / Claude Balbastre at Saint-Roch By Marina Tchebourkina and Michel Chapuis / Historic Great Organ of the Church of St Roch, Paris. CD I–II. — Paris : Natives, 2002. EAN 13 : 3760075340018
2. Du Roy-Soleil à la Révolution, l’orgue de la Chapelle royale de Versailles / From the Sun King to the Revolution, the organ of the Royal Chapel of Versailles By Marina Tchebourkina / Great Organ of the Royal Chapel of the Palace of Versailles. — Paris : Natives, 2004. EAN 13 : 3760075340032
3. Louis Claude Daquin, l’œuvre intégrale pour orgue / Louis Claude Daquin, Complete organ works By Marina Tchebourkina / Great Organ of the Royal Chapel of the Palace of Versailles. — Paris : Natives, 2004. EAN 13 : 3760075340049
4. Louis Marchand, l’œuvre intégrale pour orgue / Louis Marchand, Complete organ works By Marina Tchebourkina / Great Organ of the Royal Chapel of the Palace of Versailles. CD I–II. — Paris : Natives, 2005. EAN 13 : 3760075340056
5. François Couperin, l’œuvre intégrale pour orgue / François Couperin, Complete organ works By Marina Tchebourkina / Great Organ of the Royal Chapel of the Palace of Versailles. CD I–II. — Paris : Natives, 2005. EAN 13 : 3760075340063
6. Jean-Jacques Beauvarlet-Charpentier, œuvres pour orgue / Jean-Jacques Beauvarlet-Charpentier, Organ works By Marina Tchebourkina / Historic Great Organ of the Abbey-church of Sainte-Croix, Bordeaux. CD I–II. — Paris : Natives, 2007. EAN 13 : 3760075340087
7. Gaspard Corrette, l’œuvre intégrale pour orgue / Gaspard Corrette, Complete organ works By Marina Tchebourkina / Historic Great Organ of the Abbey-church of Saint-Michel-en-Thiérache. — Paris : Natives, 2009. EAN 13 : 3760075340100
II. Collection “Russian Organ Music”
8. Deux siècles de musique russe pour orgue / Two centuries of Russian organ music By Marina Tchebourkina / Historic Great Organ of the Church of St Sulpice, Paris. CD I–II. — Paris : Natives, 2003. EAN 13 : 3760075340025
9. Youri Boutsko, Grand cahier d’orgue / Youri Boutsko, Great organ notebook By Marina Tchebourkina / Historic Great Organ of the Abbey-church of St Etienne, Caen. — Paris : Natives, 2010. EAN 13 : 3760075340117
10. Dmitri Dianov, l’Îlot, œuvres pour orgue / Dmitri Dianov, The Isle, organ works By Marina Tchebourkina. Historic Great Organ of the Abbey-church of St Etienne, Caen. — Paris : Natives, 2010. EAN 13 : 3760075340124