Conference “On 140th and 60th Anniversaries of Stravinsky’s Birth and USSR Visit” (Moscow — St Petersburg)
International Scholarly Conference
“The World of Stravinsky: on both 140th and 60th Respective Anniversaries
of the Composer’s Birth and Visit to the USSR” (Moscow — St Petersburg)
21–23 September 2022
Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory
Russia’s State Institute for Art Studies
Russia’s Gnessins Academy of Music
Russia’s Institute of the History of Arts
Agrippina Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet
Viktor Popov Academy of Choral Art
The Foundation of Fyodor Stravinsky’s Family and Sons
The anniversary of the greatest composer of the 20th century, who established the paths of New Music, provides an occasion for a comprehensive reflection of his contribution to the world artistic culture from today’s perspective. The conference will be attended by musicologists, journalists, ballet researchers and theater critics, as well as by source, museum, culture specialists and art historians of all trends.
The suggested subjects:
- Stravinsky’s style as “diversity in unity”;
- Stravinsky and the Russian culture at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries;
- Stravinsky and the ballet;
- Stravinsky’s music and the poetic word;
- Stravinsky and religion;
- Stravinsky’s compositional techniques;
- Stravinsky about music and himself;
- Stravinsky and France/Germany/Italy/the USA/etc.;
- Stravinsky and the USSR;
- Stravinsky and Prokofiev;
- Reception of Stravinsky’s oeuvre in musicologists’ studies;
- Reception of Stravinsky’s oeuvre in the twentieth-twenty-first-century music;
- Stravinsky’s traditions in contemporary music.
We also look forward to getting any counterproposals from the conference participants.
Igor Stravinsky’s visit to the Soviet Union in 1962 was a landmark event in the country’s musical life, as the composer’s contacts with the public in his homeland were renewed. His arrival generated a lot of myths that distorted the real facts. It is important for Stravinsky’s scholarship to present the results of the source studies concerning both the clarification of the facts and an entire range of Stravinsky’s connections with the Soviet culture.
Applications are accepted until 30 June 2022 at: email@example.com
Application form: download *.doc